Friday, November 6, 2015

So You Think You Can Dance?


For most of my life, if I was ever asked that question, I know what my response would have been.  
To this day, if you ask any of my kids, they would whole-heartedly agree.
Aside from choking on whatever it is they were eating at the time, they would say,
"Hahaha, well. No." 
And I would have agreed with them.

It's pretty sad that as I look back many years on my wedding day, I recall that one of my biggest concerns about that epic, monumental day was that we were going to have a DJ who would play some amazing music, and my new husband and I would have to dance in front of a lot of our family and friends, and they would SEE ME DANCE.  Such a tragedy, as I look back.  I missed so much of the magic of the moment dancing for the first time with the love of my life, and all I could think of was, "can people tell that I just can't dance?" I was hoping that the layers of fabric and lace would be my friend and camouflage my feet moving. Really.
  


I would have to say that most of my life I have been wrong.
Sorry, kids, you are wrong, too.
I can dance.

Now, nobody qualified it and asked how well I dance.  
That's not the question.
How well you dance doesn't matter.
Dancing should never be about other people.
It's really more about you.
It's about your expression of joy.
It's about getting caught up in worship of the King of kings.
It's about sharing closeness with someone you love deeply.
It's about celebrating!

So, self, stop worrying about the question that was never asked.  Who cares how well you can dance? (Except maybe your kids, in front of their friends.  But that's just a lot of really good blackmail material, note to self.)

So, you think you can dance? Yes.
The new question is obvious:  "Will you dance?"

5 comments:

  1. Love love love! Had the best dance party last night that I wrote about this morning and it was just that, who cares how wrong the moves are but get up and dance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I read your blog, too. It's wonderful. Makes me wish we had a whole lot more dance parties through the years. Well, no time like the present!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome!! The title was my FIRST title this morning and then I changed it. How funny we had the same thing. ♥ You did a great job. Dance away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remembering that we only perform for an audience of One as we dance is hard at times. But when we remember . . . oh the joy!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your post. I totally relate to not feeling I can dance and worrying what others think but this is a great reminder that it's really about expressing joy and worship and celebrating and that's where our focus should be.

    ReplyDelete